Thursday, August 19, 2010

And again a triumphant return..?

Well, I do intend to start writing in here again.

For now, I have a confession to make: I am a Wikipedia ho.

By which I mean that I use it constantly when writing; I use it as a reference tool. Only on really simple things, you know, if I have an idea for a joke or a minor point that isn't really relevant to the plot but could still help flesh out a scene, only I have no idea what I'm talking about, I just go to Wikipedia and look stuff up. Does anyone else do this? It only seems to make sense, really.

Things I've looked up in recent fics:

- Kinds of screws (like hardware)
- Scientific names of flowers
- Scientific names of frogs
- The release dates of Monty Python comedy albums
- Advertising slogans (yes, this is not THAT recent since I finished "High, Dry, and Flooded" like three years ago now, but still, I used it.)

I wish *I* were on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

Anachronism said...

I use Wikipedia sparingly for the simple fact that I'm not sure what's real hard fact and what's not. ANYone can edit Wikipedia, and you never know what nonsense people will put in or add, or when the moderators will notice it and fix it. I tend to distrust that site, though I have been known to use it from time to time.

zebeckras said...

I totally would never use Wikipedia for anything major, especially something that a plot would turn on, for exactly that reason. I like to use it for silly little things though, little tossaway gags that if you don't get them that's cool but if you do, it adds an extra layer. It's probably not so clever of me to admit that I nearly always have to look them up, though.