Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The echoes in my head

So yesterday I put up a pic at deviantART that I wasn't really entirely happy with and by the end of the day I was so dissatisfied with it and the response it got that I took it down. ^_^;; I guess I just should not have put it up if I was going to do that (although honestly, if I didn't mention it here, no one would've noticed).

I've been really getting ticked off with my drawing lately... I have never really liked the overtly sketchy style of it, but it is very hard for me to properly outline and because of that I pretty much never ink anything (the width of the lines gets ruined when I ink anyway- it makes everything messier).

I'm also frustrated with my inability to properly colour anything. But for some reason I never do much in the way of shading, either. SO everything I put up is just big white space, all empty. At least, it looks that way to me... everything is unfinished, waiting to be coloured, but I almost never go back and finish it.

But you know, the thing that's bothering me the most is just that I can't seem to *draw*. I mean, just... things never look the way I want them to in my head, for one. There's that. Then also I can't draw Beth. Which is weird, I know. My problem is that I can't think of anything for her to do, ever. It's like in my head she only has three expressions and does one or two things ALL THE TIME. She's just... a boring character, it seems like.

I think some of this is telling me that I need to work on other characters. I dno't *have* that many but I should probably branch out a little and draw them. But it's so obnoxious in a way. I think I draw more for other peoples' OCs than I do for mine and the result is that I'm drawing all the time but not showing any improvement at all for Beth. But she's so resistant to my drawing her that I WANT to work on other people's stuff (no one is twisting my arm on that, so believe me, it's not what I'm whining about!).

I also know when I need to get over something and move on, but well... we all have our moments and I'm gonna vent about it here today, then hopefully feel better later. :) I feel a lot better about the picture I put up today, anyway, so at least that's somethin'!

3 comments:

RosaPastel said...

Is that what happened to the Valentine's picture you drew? Or maybe I just keep missing it... either way, you should know you've improved quite a bit and I happened to really like that picture. As far as inking goes, maybe investing in some microns or other art pens would help. They have various sizes and personally, I usually practice inking on tracing paper over the drawing before going straight for the drawing itself. Or if you have photoshop, you can use the pen tool which is way easier to use than most people make it out to be.

But I totally get where you're coming from not being able to draw Beth. I've been having the same trouble with my non-DWD OCs which is why they're practically non-existent in my gallery now a days. I don't think that she's boring; she's very endearing IMO, but you already know that. Maybe if you placed her in a different situation or something (like having her cosplay or parody something) that might help.

zebeckras said...

Aha, yes. Ehm. That would be the pic in question. I was really excited about the idea when I had it but I rushed to get it done before Monday so that I could have it up the morning of Valentines' Day... which I think was a mistake. I dunno, it didn't come out quite as I wanted and I didn't like how I coloured it; and I read every complimentary comment on it as forced. (I think for the record that there was no "right" way to comment that woudl've made me feel better about it. I just didn't care for the pic.)

It's funny that I'm way less hard on myself drawing other people's characters for whatever reason. I don't know if I genuinely am better at it or if I just cut myself more slack. :P

Well, thanks for the feedback anyway; hopefully someday soon I can do something similar that I actually like. ;)

RosaPastel said...

Ah, gotcha. And I just realized that you probably didn't want everyone knowing what pic or else you would have said. Sorry, I really didn't mean to call it out. I started typing without thinking ^^;

But hey, if you need help with the line-art thing, like doing it in Photoshop, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand :)