Monday, January 16, 2012

30 Days Meme day 14

Day 14 – Ratings – how high are you comfortable with going? Have you ever written higher? If you’re comfortable with NC-17, have you ever been shocked by finding that the story you’re writing is G-rated instead?

Right now I'll usually only go up to R, at most. A rather mild R. And honestly, right NOW, I don't think I'd write above a PG-13 but depending on the fandom I'd be willing to go up to R.

I did used to write explicit smut though :D

What's happened now is that I guess I sort of feel less exhibitionary now that I'm older - I also feel like most of my smut is really over the top 9_9 And that's assuming I'm not writing in DWDverse.

In DWDverse, I have the same reaction I have to all programs aimed at kids: I have a very, VERY hard time putting myself outside of the "kid-friendly" mindset. I approach ALL child-friendly shows that way: even Avatar, which had some way older themes and debatably has characters who could, perhaps within a few years, have sex drives and justified smut fics - I have no interest in writing or even reading anything above a PG-13 rating. With Darkwing I have to know what I'm going to be seeing before I go to it and even then it's a stretch. I have tried, and I'm just not comfortable with explicit sexual content. Or, well, anything that's very strongly outside the original tone of the show, so I have cognitive dissonance when a character *swears* in a fic. :D I can't write it.

I *can* break outside of that - vaguely - and slowly, by getting very used to the idea first. But even then I have to label it "non-canon" in my head.

No comments: