Friday, January 14, 2011

I love it when this happens

So I went out on a walk today during my afternoon break and I love nature. Even when it's freaking freezing outside if I have the time to clear my head I can make progress on my fics that surprises me.

I'm working on structuring the rewrite of TWC3, and there are a number of things that happen in the course of this fic which... well, I need a new way to get there. (I'll go into these after I start posting the fic, I guess.) I hadn't been stressing over them, precisely, but I was getting to a point where I was wondering just how i'd be dealing with them and if I would manage to pull them off a bit better than I did when I was a kid. Anyway I don't knwo if it's the fresh air or what, but I had a big breakthrough a few months ago and started rewriting chapter one (back at hte start of September), and the breakthrough came when I was walking to my office from a faroff bus stop; then today in the gawdawful cold I had *two*!

One of them I wasn't even precisely looking for! That was the fun part. It was one of those things that came out of my making up a discussion in my head between DW and Launchpad, something semi-plot related; most of the time when I do this, a lot of it doesn't make into the fic because by the time I sit down to write I end up just restarting the conversation. But even so, every so often just letting the dialogue flow in my head gives me an idea on how to do something. In this case, I wasn't sure how to fit an initial confrontation between DW and Quackerjack into the end of the act until I had Darkwing musing about doing a sting operation and using someone as bait. It was initially a throwaway line until I realized, oh WAIT, that would actually work perfectly!

And oops, I spoiled who the bad guy is in this one. Oh well, anyone can find out by reading the first scene of the fic once I post it so it's not going to be a secret. ;)

*sigh* I feel happy now, because that means I basically have the first act all smoothed out. :) This one might take me a little longer, I think, than TWC2 has been; it's funny, things are coming a little more slowly but when they do I feel like they're really *good* ideas. (We'll see about the execution but they feel right in my head.) Whereas with TWC2, the story since i started writing it has come quickly but it's felt a little bit canned and uninspired to me all along. It's not a bad story, I just don't feel like it's sparkling.

Oh my god I have ad agency descriptions going. Shoot me. :P

No comments: