Thursday, March 3, 2011

Character Post: Launchpad, Take 2

I'm busy workin' away on chapter 2 of TWC3 and there's been a lot of introspection on Launchpad's part. (I'd go into why but it's all spoilery and since this fic is coming out in the NEAR future, instead of the DISTANT kind, I figured I'd just let folks wait; I will say though that, y'know, I'm going somewhere with him in this fic.) Anyway, that got me thinking again about how I write him and how that's evolved. I actually have started writing him a bit differently since I wrote my last characterization post - back in 2007 now, I think that was. (GOD that's just sick and wrong. I'M OLD.)

Digression: I am seriously freezing right now and I have no idea why. Stupid office! Okay, digression over, now to the meat of the post.

In my last post I mentioned how I thought I was weakest at writing Launchpad, out of the three main characters of the show. I guess that might've changed by now; I've been putting a real effort into developing his character, some of which shows up in the rewrites and some of which in the "New" fics. (We won't talk about the stuff in between.) But the character is not a precise reflection of who he is in the show. It's not a huge departure either, it's just that - in my opinion - Launchpad on the show is not prone to introspection.

Well, ya can't write that way in fanfic, kids! Or well I guess you can, 'cause I used to, but it's not easy to read. :P

I've been trying to find a "blend" on LP... someone who is familiar and appealing to fans of the show, who doesn't seem blatantly smarter/angrier/darker/cooler/whatever than he was, but who is still deeper than DWD series often portrayed him and who is a bit more prone to action than "just the sidekick".

The action part is something i want to do within the realms of the series, actually. LP was often just in the background but not always; he had his moments. I want to do that, have him be supporting action without overtaking Darkwing, but have them more frequently.

The added depth is something I'm maybe trying to explain a little in this way: in my take on the series, Launchpad has kind of been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while without realizing it. He's been happy doing what he's doing, ie, sidekicking and helping out with Gos, etc. It's been fun, he hasn't thought much about anything else, and he's now starting to think about things and realize that he's been neglecting his own life a bit. Hence, the introspection; I thought maybe it could play as just something he was avoiding for a while.

In terms of characterization - the "blend" - I dont' want him to be more serious. I love goofy LP! I like to write him as a generally easy-to-please guy who doesn't overthink anything, often thinks about his stomach first, and likes to see people happy. He's prone to saying things that are slightly off-the-wall, and can be easily confused or overwhelmed at times. I hope it comes across as LAUNCHPAD, just maybe in a little more detail than a half-hour cartoon series, and not as me trying to beef up my fave character and make him the way *I* think he should be. Well, everyone does that, I guess (though LP's not actually my favourite character, but he used to be); like I siad though, I hope he's familiar to fans of the show and I certainly hope he's appealing. ^_^

2 comments:

RosaPastel said...

I think you just described every fear I have when writing Launchpad. I definitely don't want him to stray from who he is -which is, like you said, a goofy, all around good guy. I really hope I don't especially the further I get into my own writing. But these characterization posts are really helpful!

zebeckras said...

Yay, thanks! I haven't had a chance to get to the next chapter of Crossfire yet but I think as long as you're being careful about it, you're less likely to make a misstep. That's my opinion anyway. :)

My least favourite LP-oriented fics tend to be the ones where he's actually super smart and has just been hiding it all along. Since like back in DuckTales even. I'm not gonna buy that one. ;)